Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Stagnant Water Stinks! (a repost)



I've been taking notes for awhile now. I'm noting the differences in people that I knew from childhood- some relatives,some friends- people I have known very well for many years- and how they have become different over the years.

The aging process certainly has a role in the deterioration of some of the energy and strength I witness departing the once agile bodies of those I love. I notice though, some qualities that are being lost are not due to age, but due to the lack of drive, inspiration, or hope that often times comes with age- like an unwanted stowaway on the journey into the unknown.

Now, I'm not talking about my elderly parents who are well into their seventies and have experienced more than their share of physical problems that would have killed a lesser person! I'm speaking of those who are much younger who seem to have fallen into a rut and remained there, while stagnant water filled up all around them until the smell becomes so strong, and the waters so murky that it seems no one wants to be close enough for any length of time to offer any way out.

Several years ago, I was noticing that familiar odor of stagnant waters that seemed to be too close to home. My once fun-loving personality was beginning to morph into a comfortable, safe- yet boring existence. I had begun to settle. Unmoved or inspired by much that was unfamiliar to me. My flow was blocked as I was full of fears, and uncertainties and was unwilling to move into any unfamiliar places regardless of the appeal.

I was living in stagnant, murky waters. Eventually, all stagnant waters begins to stink, and even worse is that fact that these waters become TOXIC! It becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and parasites. Polluted waters cause disease and eventually death. The very same happens to a soul left unmoved and not cleansed regularly.

There are two ways to combat stagnant, murky waters.

1. Always allow drainage.

Just as water is not meant to stay immobile in one place without flow (or to empty into a larger body of water) neither are we just to soak up all the good there is in life and not allow it to spread and move from ourselves, into the lives or bodies of others. We must take what we have been given- our talents-gifts-resources- and pour them into the lives of others. It works almost like magic- the more we give- even more returns to us. Most of us feel "drained" but it is not often because we are flowing or draining into the lives of others. We are trying to tread water in our murky, stagnant pool we've created for ourselves. It's time to stir up the muddy waters!

2. Never avoid regular cleansing. When the boys lived at home, we had a pool in the backyard. To keep this contained body of water clean, we had to purchase a filter and many chemicals that would work together daily to maintain a safe level for swimming. I'm sure as young boys,my sons (or their friends) left a "yellow stream" occasionally that could easily be swallowed up by the next unsuspecting swimmer! The strong chemicals would fight against the harmful bacteria until it would rid the danger from the pool. But then would come the fallen leaves, and bugs and other unwanted foreign objects that were not meant for a pool- it was always something- these things had to be removed quickly so further problems would not arise. Filters become clogged- bugs on the waters surface lay eggs...and the problems worsen.

My "cleansing" comes in the form of a spiritual cleansing that must take place often and immediately when "things that shouldn't be there" fall on the surface to be dealt with. The longer I wait...the more toxic the things become...the deeper the danger lies... the more harmful the water becomes to me and to those around me. One cleansing is never enough because of the constant encounter with destructive elements. The cleansing must become regular and thorough.

If you should find yourself treading the murky ,stagnant waters, ready to go under for the last time, you must decide to remove yourself from the rut....start moving- and begin your cleansing.The first step you take is the most important- the step you take towards Christ.

Allow the movement to become a flow. Start the cleansing and drainage process.

Don't allow another day to become routine and all about you. Step it up. Give of your time- your talents- your resources- flow into the life of another. Stop standing still. MOVE IT OR LOSE IT!

Present yourself for a cleansing before your Creator who desires nothing more than to allow you to enjoy the best this life has to offer without guilt and shame, and fears and regrets -Allowing you to feel refreshed, renewed, restored ,healthy and hopeful. We are washed clean in and by the blood of Jesus.

"If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceived ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:7-9

Jesus calls Himself the Living Water, and whoever drinks of this water will never thirst again.

What a wonderful trade.

This...




For this....



It's kind of a "no-brainer"...don't you think?

7 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

I loved this Sherri! I sure have missed you ♥

John Cowart said...

Hi Sherri,

One of the chores on my list today is skimming the pool, part of our planned Spring clean-up. My mind is all set to clean this and trim that and plant the other... then I read this post of yours and I recall what you posted yesterday about your "I Will" list.

Helps me keep my priorities straight.

Thanks,
John

Trudy said...

This is beautiful Sherri! And oh so true.

Have a blessed day!

~jill said...

it's good to have you back in blog land....your posts are always thought provoking. thanks!

sherri said...

Kathy- thank you. I have missed blogging- just trying to keep all my plates in the air, you know. You have been faithful reader and I appreciate it.

John-everyone time I see stagnant water I think of this- I just decided to finally make it a post.

Trudy- thanks and you too.

Jill- thank you. These are things that cause me to think...and maybe make some changes. I like to share what has impacted me. Thank you for returning. I do appreciate you guys- I have been a HORRIBLE blog friend!

Gabrielle Eden said...

Sherri - that was a flow of fresh water into my soul. And I drank it, and it gave me new life!

Thank you!

Love,

Marie

jscales said...

sherri i dont know you but thats not just some good fresh clensing but some good food people are falling by the way side daily maby i can share some of this with them and they can begin to to let thir bellys flow rivers of living water if not the stagant will take them to a devils hell good wrighting thank you jacob scales